Inflammatory bowel disease

For example, Astin suggested that an association with education may reflect that those with higher education are: more likely to be exposed to various alternative forms of health care through their own reading; more likely to educate themselves about their disease and available treatments; and more likely to question the authority of conventional practitioners. However, […]

Langmead et al found no association between demographic variables in a study of 101 British IBD patients. However, these studies, as with all studies examining CAM use by patients with IBD, had relatively small sample sizes (fewer than 300 subjects), which contrasts with the large sample sizes found in most general population surveys. Therefore, inadequate […]

It is well-recognized that CAM use is common among people with IBD, as it is among the general public. In this study, we found that 47% of patients had used or were currently using CAM for their IBD and an additional 9% were using CAM for other reasons. In the present study, we investigated factors […]

In our research, we classify as CAM therapies those which patients have used that were not recommended by a medical doctor or other conventional health care provider, even if they would be regarded as conventional therapies in another situation. Therefore, a gluten-free diet would be considered conventional therapy for celiac disease but a CAM if […]

For example, compared with a clinic-based sample, our sample included a broader range of patients, including patients with less severe disease and those with ulcerative colitis who had undergone surgery. Compared with the population-based sample, our sample was older and better educated, and included greater proportions of females and patients with Crohn’s disease. When it […]

Finally, patients and primary care doctors frequently ask gastroenterologists about the efficacy and safety of many CAMs (particularly those that are ingested) in IBD. The Hilsden study and others like it remind the research community that, while novel biological agents are being studied in clinical trials, a large variety of widely available alternative interventions warrant […]

For instance, if 24% of IBD patients are using CAM specifically for their IBD, it begs the question as to whether or not the other 76% are quite satisfied with their conventional medical therapy. Alternatively, some of these patients might simply have not been informed about ‘nonconventional’ options. In this study, a high proportion of […]

Firstly, some members do not actually have IBD; while some survey respondents stated that they did not have IBD, others may have erroneously identified themselves as IBD patients. Furthermore, support groups such as CCFC might attract a distinct group of patients, or even patients who are more likely to use CAM since they have at […]

Hilsden et al conducted a postal survey of members of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada (CCFC), gathering data on the use of both conventional therapy and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). The response rate was 76% (quite good for a mailed survey), although 9% of respondents stated that they did not actually have […]